This house was built c. 1860 as a two-story classic farmhouse: a cluster of small rooms that can be shut off to maintain privacy and heat from a single wood stove, with bedrooms on the second floor. Over the next century, additions were haphazardly built to accommodate the family's need for more space. Finally, in the late 80's a kitchen was added to the previously unused barn, adding an unforeseen weight to the loose stone foundation.
The house originally overlooked a private pasture with a river running 30 yards west of the house. When the town decided to dam the river, Highland Lake was created and the house instantly became a waterfront property. The water's edge now literally touches the house's foundation.
A major goal in the renovation of this project is to maintain the integrity of a turn-of-the-century farmhouse, but open up to the western views of the lake and Mount Washington.